Buddhist research value of world cultural heritage Shaolin Temple Pagoda Forest (5)

Ninth, there are several pagoda inscriptions or steles in the pagoda of Shaolin Temple, which are of great significance to the study of Buddhist cultural exchanges between China and Japan. Located in the east area of Tallinn, the “spirit tower of elder ju’an” is built for the chair of Shaolin Temple, ju’an (FA Ming FA Zhao). The tower was built in 1339, the fifth year of Huizong Zhiyuan era. It is a hexagonal solid brick tower with dense eaves and a height of 7.72 meters. The first floor of the tower is inlaid with a stone tower forehead on the front and a stone tower inscription on the back. The inscription is in regular script: “the Buddhist monk with great enlightenment follows the Gonghe’s inscription, and Shao Yuanhe, the first Japanese monk in Dangshan, wrote the book together…” Located in the Northern District of Tallinn, shoutA is the base tower of the famous Zen master of Yuan Dynasty and the abbot of Shaolin Temple. Built in 1340, Huizong, Yuan Dynasty, the tower is a five story solid brick tower with hexagonal and dense eaves, 8.78 meters high. After the death of the Buddhist nunnery, the disciples divided Linggu pagoda into Shaolin Temple Pagoda and Lingyan Temple Pagoda in Changqing County, Shandong Province (the second largest Pagoda in China). Shaoyuan, a Japanese monk, wrote for him the inscription “the tablet of Buddhist nunnery’s journey”. The steles were erected in Shaolin Temple and Lingyan Temple respectively (the two steles still exist). The taming of elder ju’an was written by monk Shaoyuan of Japan and was also written by Zen master Xi’an’s “daoxingbei”. Shao yuan, Hao Guyuan, born in Fukui County, Japan, was a monk in Dongfu Temple of Japan, and later served as the abbot of Tanzhou Zhengfa Temple of Yamashita, Japan. He came to China in 1327, the fourth year of TAIDING in the Yuan Dynasty, and visited famous temples. Later, he lived under the Xi’an gate, the abbot of Shaolin Temple, and was the Secretary and the first monk of Shaolin Temple (second only to Abbot). He has been in China for more than 20 years. He is proficient in Zen and Chinese. In 1973, when Mr. Guo Moruo saw Shao Yuanzhuan’s inscriptions and rubbings of inscriptions, he wrote poems and praised: “the tablet of Xi’an is shaoyuanwen, so he asked for Dharma not to let Ren come to Tang Dynasty. I would like to be a model for tens of thousands of generations and learn from each other. Shao Yuanzhuan’s portraiture of the public pagoda is like the year of Tang Monk’s stay in India. The flowers fall, the flowers open, retting, and dying, and he Yan mourns his old age. ” There is a pagoda of Zen master chunzhuo built in the Western District of Shaolin Temple from the Yuan Dynasty to the fourteenth year of Zhengzheng Dynasty (1354). It is a six angle, dense eaved, seven story solid brick Pagoda with a height of 9.1 meters. It is the tomb pagoda of the famous monk of the yuan Dynasty and the abbot of Shaolin Temple chunzhuo twice. In the 25th year of Hongwu reign of the Ming Dynasty, the stele of the abbot of Shaolin Temple in the ancestral court of Song Mountain, Chun Zhuo, the Buddhist master, Cai gongta Ming ordered, was written by the Japanese monk De Shi Shudan. The inscriptions and steles written by the Japanese monk Shaoyuan and Deshi are not only of great cultural value for their smooth writing and strong calligraphy, but also are examples of ancient Buddhist cultural exchanges and friendly exchanges between China and Japan, as well as precious material materials for the study of the history of Shaolin Temple.

Ten is that the existing Pagoda Forest in China has been damaged due to historical reasons, resulting in the situation that there are fewer large pagodas and more small ones, which makes the research work of Pagoda Forest deficient; in addition, the lack of pagoda forehead and inscription in some pagodas makes the research work more passive. However, the number of pagodas in Shaolin Temple is not only large, but also most of the tombs are well preserved. In the 243 brick and stone pagodas inside and outside the Tallinn, there are 236 existing pagodas with tallow and taming (including those with a few unclear words), many of which have both tallow and taming, so there are 297 existing pagodas with tallow and taming, which will bring a lot of convenience for future research. However, there is still a long-standing dispute over whether there is a female monk Pagoda in the Pagoda Forest of Shaolin Temple, which is commonly known as the nun pagoda, or even mistaking a male monk Pagoda in the Pagoda Forest for a bhikuni pagoda, which has not formed a consensus for a long time. In 2002, Mr. Lu Hongjun put forward that Huiyuan Pagoda in the pagoda was a nun Pagoda in the book of Shaolin Temple in Songshan [4], and the author made a detailed survey for several months in compiling the Chinese Shaolin Temple, the pagoda volume. The result of the survey is that the pagoda in the western region of the pagoda, where the monks’ tombs are relatively concentrated (the pagoda in the western region accounts for 65% of those in the inner and outer regions of the pagoda) The first floor of Huiyuan tower is inlaid with a brick tower with a height of 33cm and a width of 32cm on the front. The regular script of “bichuni Huiyuan tower” is written in the forehead. It was founded on March 28 of the second year of Dade. It can be confirmed that this tower is a female monk tower. The reasons are as follows: (1) there is a clear record of “bichuni Huiyuan tower” in the tower. Bhikuni, also known as “samani”, is commonly known as “nun”. It is translated into Sanskrit as “cuumni”, “ehumni” and “bhumni”. It is a Buddhist term, which refers to a woman who has received enough precepts after becoming a monk. Therefore, this tower is a female monk tower, not a male monk tower. (2) It is recorded in the pagoda that “wisdom gathering, wisdom cloud Ugly slaves and wise spirits “. According to the dictionary of religions, “picunia It is commonly known as “nun” and “nun”, so the nun who lost his hair made it clear that it was the “nun” who lost his hair, that is, the female monk, who also corroborated Huiyuan’s female monk identity. (3) Not far from this tower, the monument of Abbot Yugong, the founder of Shaolin, stands in front of “Yugong tower, the great master of Guangzong Zhengfa”. It is recorded that Huiyuan is one of Yugong’s nuns. Chafuyu’s 70 generation pedigree established in Shaolin Temple is “Fu Huizhi, Zi Jue, you can understand when you have achieved your goal…” Since the beginning of Fuyu, “Fu” is the first generation, “Hui” is the second generation, “Zhi” is the third generation. Huiyuan’s “Hui” and “Hui” are homophones. Huiyuan’s nuns are of the “wisdom” generation, all of which are in line with the 70 character pedigree. (4) The name of the pagoda is “Huiyuan”, which is different from that of the male monk Pagoda in Tallinn. For example, Fuyu is called “Yugong”. Huiding, a male monk of the same generation who worships Fuyu as his teacher, is called “Dinggong” and Huiqing is called “Qinggong”. The dictionary says, “Gong” refers to the honorific title of an old man. It can also be proved from one side that Huiyuan tower is Nita. This nun pagoda is the only existing female monk Pagoda in Shaolin Temple, which is of great significance to the study of Chinese Buddhist history, especially the Pagoda Forest of Buddhist monks’ ancestral tombs.

Translate »